If you thought the Ms Pacman cocktail arcade game was in the World Video Game Hall of Fame, you would be incorrect. It's been on the shortlist for entry -- it had been on the shortlist both this year and last year. It hasn't made the cut yet, though.
In fact, zero 1980s arcade games combined the Hall of Fame this past year. Nevertheless, the judges did select a timeless 1990s arcade game. This was in addition to games console
games, a mid-70s text-based adventure game, and a game which was packaged free in the Microsoft Windows operating system.
Classic 1980s (and Pre-1980s) Arcade Games around the Shortlist but Which Missed the Cut
These are some of the great 1980s arcade games that have cut at the final hurdle this year:
• Ms Pac-Man -- a finalist for two Decades now so, hopefully, It Is Going to get the recognition it deserves in future decades
• Centipede -- the 1981 award-winning classic from Atari that provided gameplay like Space Invaders but with bugs instead of spaceships
• Asteroids -- the most brilliant multidirectional shooter released by Atari in 1979 that was among the first arcade games to Attain widespread popularity
The 2019 Inductees
What about the video games that did get inducted into the World Video Game Hall of Fame this past year?
• Mortal Kombat -- that is the only arcade game to get into the World Video Game Hall of Fame at 2019. Over time, various titles and versions of the game have been published on a range of different platforms. The first four incarnations, but starting in 1992, were arcade only.
• Microsoft Solitaire -- packed in the Windows operating system, it's been mechanically installed on countless computers across the world. Since 1990, it has helped workplace employees pretend to be busy and is currently played 35 billion times annually.
• Super Mario Kart -- the most fun and popular racing game that was first released in 1992.
• Colossal Cave Adventure -- an obscure (compared to the other huge gaming titles mentioned in this article) text-based adventure game published in 1976. To perform it, you compose commands and there aren't any graphics. The intention is to locate treasures and childhood perceptions
Hopefully, Ms Pac-Man gets her chance next year. You don't have to wait till then to play it though, particularly if you've got your own arcade machine. Have a look at our range today.